The City of Lewiston has adopted Ordinance No. 4755, which allows accessory apartments to be constructed on any residential lot that is at least five thousand (5,000) square feet.
Definition of accessory apartment is a size-limited attached or detached apartment meeting the standards of Lewiston City Code Section 37-131.2
Just a few bullet points associated with this particular section of code:
- Accessory apartments are allowed when one lawful single family dwelling exists on the property;
- Only one (1) accessory apartment, detached or attached to a single-family dwelling, may be constructed;
- An accessory apartment shall not exceed six hundred (600) square feet or thirty percent (30%) of the habitable floor area of the associated single-family dwelling, whichever is greater; provided, however, that an accessory apartment shall never exceed nine hundred (900) square feet;
- An accessory apartment shall not contain more than two (2) bedrooms;
- At least one (1) off-street parking space shall be provided for an accessory apartment. This (1) off-street parking space is in addition to the existing required off street parking. You can find existing parking requirements in the Lewiston City Code Section 37-149. (1);
- An accessory apartment shall meet the minimum required front, interior side, and street side setbacks for the associated single-family dwelling;
- A detached accessory apartment shall not be located in front of or project beyond the front wall of the associated single-family dwelling;
- An accessory apartment shall maintain a minimum of ten (10) feet from the rear property line, or three (3) feet if abutting a rear alley;
- An accessory apartment shall not exceed eighteen (18) feet in height if such accessory apartment is a single story or twenty-eight (28) feet in height if such accessory apartment is a two story;
- An accessory apartment shall be owned by the same person who owns the single-family dwelling to which such accessory apartment is attached to or detached from.
Take a look at these three pre-approved building package examples of floor plans. Accessory apartments are not limited to just these plans. Be creative with your own floor plans!
For accessory apartments in the Normal Hill North and South Zone, the following additional requirements apply:
- An accessory apartment shall provide a minimum of one (1) off-street parking space per bedroom. This (1) off-street parking space is in addition to the existing required off-street parking. You can find existing parking requirements in Lewiston City Code Section 37-41.12 and Section 37-41A.12;
- An accessory apartment shall not be located in front of or project beyond the front wall of the associated single-family dwelling, unless the lot is less than fifty (50) feet in width and there is no abutting alley; or fifty (50) percent of the dwelling is constructed within the rear half of the depth of the lot and there is no abutting alley; or it is on the street side of a corner lot and it meets the minimum required street side yard setback and does not project beyond the front wall of the dwelling on the front yard side.
If you have additional questions, please contact our helpful staff in the Community Development Department, at 215 D Street, Lewiston, Idaho 83501, or by phone 208-746-1318.