- Boards & Commissions
- Historic Preservation Commission
- Lewis Clark Hotel
Lewis Clark Hotel
111 Main Street
Lewis Clark Hotel Built 1921-1922
Built by the Lewis Clark Hotel Company, a group of Lewiston area residents. A five-story, U-shaped, Mission style stucco hotel building designed by Spokane architect Kirtland Cutter, the hotel opened in September 1922 and cost $450,000. The opening of this hotel was greatly anticipated by local residents as they believed it signaled the beginning of prosperity and growth for the area, and a large city celebration drew people from as far as Seattle and Portland. It contained 144 rooms and a large lobby “in the Italian style”, and three dining rooms.
Before the hotel was constructed, this was the site of the first county courthouse and jail, the Lewiston National Bank, and the Grostein & Binnard general store, which was the city’s first brick building. In 1903, the store was purchased by Joseph Alexander and remained in business until being razed to make way for the new hotel.
Kirtland Cutter, Architect
Lewis Clark Hotel circa 1940
Carl R. Berg, Seattle artist who painted murals in the Victory Room focusing on local animals, Indians, and a canoe with Lewis and Clark and Sacajawea.
Cherry Blossom Festival 1932
Beginning of Construction
Christmas Party, date unknown
The Historic Preservation Commission would like to recognize and thank Dr. Steven Branting and the Nez Perce County Historical Society and Museum for the access to and contributions from their extensive archives for this project. Special thanks go to Commissioner Leah Boots for her countless hours of work to make this project a reality.
This project is supported in part by the Idaho State Historical Society.