313 D Street
Means Building Built 1906
Built by Mark Means on the site where the Valley Lumber Company sheds had been located. It was the headquarters of Mark Means Seed Co. until 1953. The seed company had warehouses nearby at 5th and Beachey Streets, with a sorting plant installed later at 2nd and Beachey Streets, in 1941 it employed 300 people. Means was a major proponent of the streetcar line that linked Lewiston’s 21st Street with Clarkston at 13th Street and Highland Avenue from 1915 to 1928. The line ran down along Main Street, one block south of this building.
The Historic Preservation Commission would like to recognize and thank Dr. Steven Branting and the Nez Perce County Historical Society and Museum for the access to and contributions from their extensive archives for this project. Special thanks go to Commissioner Leah Boots for her countless hours of work to make this project a reality.
This project is supported in part by the Idaho State Historical Society.