402-408 Main Street
Adams Block Constructed between 1896 and 1900
Charles Frances Adams Jr.
Built as an investment by Charles Francis Adams of Boston, the descendant of two U.S Presidents. In 1896, the building contained the Lewiston Tribune offices and later housed the Idaho National Bank, Gateway Clothing, the Lewiston Water and Power Co., a bookstore, drugstore, meat market, Thatcher and Kling’s stationery store, and jewelers. Offices in the upper floors included the suite of Susan Bruce, M.D., one of the city’s first female physicians.
In 2006 the building was restored after fire damage to provide housing and retail space in connection with new construction at 5th and Main Street.
The Historic Preservation Commission would like to recognize and thank Dr. Steven Branting and the Nez Perce County Historical Society and Museum for the access to and contributions from their extensive archives for this project. Special thanks go to Commissioner Leah Boots for her countless hours of work to make this project a reality.
This project is supported in part by the Idaho State Historical Society.